Monday, August 27, 2012

Wager – Argument of Pascal


                                    The wager argument of Pascal speaks of two things. I believe God exists and I do not believe God exists. First, if I believe God exists and God in fact does exist, then, I will gain infinite happiness. However, if I believe God exists and God in fact does not exist, then, I will have no payoff. Second, if I do not believe God exists and God in fact does exist, then, I will gain infinite pain. However, if I believe God does not exist and God in fact does not exist, then, I will have no payoff. Thus, I have everything to gain and nothing to lose by believing God and everything to lose and nothing to gain by not believing God. On these grounds, one would be foolish not to believe. This whole wager-argument of Pascal is intended for the atheist and for the particular persons who are not yet convinced about the truth of Christianity. It does not express proofs of God’s existence but rather a device to introduce one to faith. This is so because Pascal believed that an individual must have faith first before he will know or will have knowledge of God.

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately, Pascal's Wager fails due to the fact that there are multiple monotheistic gods and their associated religions are incompatible with each other. For example, Judaism and Islam forbids worship of Jesus as God, while Christianity practices this. Other polytheistic religions haven't even heard of a monotheistic god.

    ReplyDelete